Monday, July 5, 2010

My "Workout Buddy"

My daughter has been begging me to take her to the gym with me, but the Kid Club hours and my gym schedule don't match up well since I work out at 5 am most mornings. Since today was a holiday from work I decided to make the most of the day and have my little partner join me. She was very excited to be going! She kept saying we were going to exercise to be skinny! Ha. I guess I need to stop the fat talk around her and focus more on exercising to be healthy.

I did a version of the Couch 25K plan but jogged for 60 seconds and walked for 60 seconds. After only fifteen minutes I was a sweaty, hot and tired mess. So I decided to go over to the circuit training stations and went through each set once for a total of about 20 minutes. Then I went back to the treadmill for another round of jogging/walking intervals. I went around one mile each set so I still have a ways to go before I can complete a 5k but I do want to stick with my version of the training plan. I think I was drinking too much water during my walk breaks because my stomach was not feeling well which is one of the biggest reasons I had to cut it short.

The Couch25k plan has been very successful for a lot of people, and best of all, it's free and doesn't require a gym membership or any special equipment. Just a good pair of running shoes!

After my little workout buddy spotted me going downstairs I figured I should call it a workout before she got upset in the Kid Club. We headed out to do some grocery shopping. I'm really trying to find ways to eat healthy without breaking my budget. One of the biggest helpers to this lately has been the opening of the chain of grocery stores Aldi. I had heard a lot of buzz from other money saving blogs but had heard mixed reviews about the stores. Most of the complaints I heard was that they are located in not so great areas and the produce has not been fresh. Our location is in a great area and I have never had a problem with any of the produce I buy.

Aldi is a great place to stock up on staples like milk (1.79), eggs (.79), and bread (.69). I also buy as much produce there as I can. Today I bought bananas (.39), a seedless watermelon (2.99), cherries (2.29), strawberries (.79), celery (.99), carrots (1.19), zucchini (1.29) and blueberries (1.49). We hit up the Dallas Farmer's Market yesterday and got some great buys on peaches, figs, another watermelon, spinach and raspberries. I should be good for lunches next week now.

Where do you find low cost healthy staples and produce?

No comments:

Post a Comment